Friday, January 21, 2011

Removing Linux Grub & Restoring Windows 7 Boot GUI


hi frnds,
Recently I ( Anurag Jain) had been install linux-mint on my Windows 7 machine. by the way linux mint is pretty (suggested by sat-p) good but my laptop vpceb16fg is not support some driver because they are not found in open source.due to this I wanted to remove it because I wasn’t really using it anymore and I was getting sick of booting my machine and forgetting to change the GRUB option at start-up to boot
 into Windows 7.
I know that the GRUB can be edited so that Windows 7 would boot first but I dont need for linux mint so I wanted to remove it all together including the GRUB.

First of all I made a really dumb n00b error of booting into Windows 7 and deleting the partitions that linux mint occupied. Of course, the GRUB remained and my computer wouldn’t even start. To get back to being able to boot again, I inserted my linux-mint DVD and re-installed so the GRUB would work again but it was failure
My next plan was to boot from my Windows 7 DVD and use the option to fix start-up errors. This was not a good plan either. The GRUB remained but I now had a Windows Vista GUI start-up instead of the much more pretty Windows 7 one.
I decided to do some research before making anymore stupid mistakes – RTFM(as my senior once suggested) comes to mind.
So I discovered that the first step to remove the GRUB (and linux mint other disto of Linux) is to boot from your Windows 7 DVD, select your language and then to choose the repair option.
At the repair option you should choose the command prompt and use the command: bootsect /nt60 C:
Now restart your computer and Windows 7 should boot without entering the GRUB because this has been removed from your machine.
If you have somehow got the old Windows Vista start-up GUI displaying on start-up, then you should wait for your computer to boot into Windows 7 and run the command prompt as an Administrator. To get the Windows 7 GUI start-up back, use the following command: bootrec /fixmbr
Once you’re happy that your computer is booting without the GRUB and directly into Windows 7 you can remove all traces of the Linux distribution going into Disk Management (Windows Key + R and type diskmgmt.msc). Simply delete the partitions and then expand the rest of the drive containing data to fill the empty space.

that's all friends.
if you enjoy this information then send your feedback to
anurag.kota@gmail.com
(Anurag Jain )

No comments: